Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our "Kumovi"

In my attempt to learn Croatian I've decided I need to start incorporating the foreign language into my blog. We'll start slowly.

A “kum” (sounds like “Coom”) is the Croatian equivalent of a best man. “Kumovi” is the plural version. In Croatia there is a greater significance in the relationship between kumovi than there is here in America. It’s sort of an unwritten rule that your kum will be committed to supporting your family and marriage long after the reception is over.

We had the privilege of having Milo and his family visit us in Massachusetts for 5 days.
It’s been 8 years since I acted as his best man, but our relationship has remained a close friendship since then – even despite my poor best-man-skills at his wedding.

We met almost 10 years ago as Marine bandsmen.

We competed.

We played.

We began our own families.

And our families have been able to stay close despite the physical distance.

3 comments:

Milo Wilson said...

Thank you Jeremy, your words mean a great deal. We had an incredible week. Thank you sooo much. Now about the pictures... Erin and I were married in Dec of 2001. How many years ago was that? I'm not sure what the 3 legged race was all about, but we appear to be losing... badly... and we shouldn't be. I won't make you say it, but I have gained some serious weight! Awesome!

Jeremy said...

We had a great time too - seems lonely without you guys here.

As for the wedding - I stand corrected!

Anonymous said...

NOW THAT I CALL A KUM.