Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Whole Year To Celebrate

As I observed several celebrating the New Year in their 2010 glasses I began thinking about how silly it seemed.  These people will probably never again wear 2010 on their face – even though there are 364 more days to it.  2010 was so...yesterday.  In a culture that so often over-celebrates beginnings and undervalues commitment and accomplishment perhaps it shouldn’t seem so ironic.

Not that we shouldn’t celebrate the coming of a New Year.  On the contrary.  2010 will be an exciting year for many us.  Our family is no exception as we expect a baby, a 30th birthday and…well lots of unknowns.  There will be a lot to savor in 2010 – all 12 months of it.

So at the beginning of this year, like many other years, I am examining the various activities that consume my life.  Why do I do this?  What’s the point of that?  Indeed, some of my readers (and others who don't read) may wonder why I blog.  In my introduction a year and a half ago I listed several reasons why I began in the first place.  Here are the top 5 reasons I will continue in 2010:

5.  The longer I live in Croatia, it seems, the more cultural differences I notice.  The more I take in, the more there is to process.  Blogging is one of the best ways I’ve found to be able to do that.

4. Various family members and friends read regularly.  Their interest and encouragement is the fuel that keeps this blog from sputtering out.  If no one read, I wouldn’t post.  It’s as simple as that.

3. I prefer, if possible, to think, rethink and edit before I speak.  Blogging allows me go through that process without wasting your time.

2. This blog has already become an archive.  My arch-rival at the beginning of my blogging days has become a supporter simply because of the fact that it has chronicled issues and events that have affected our lives.  If my wife has converted, there’s no turning back now.

1.  I’ve found writing to be useful in so many areas of my life.  It has helped organize my thoughts, clarify my vision and even solidify my faith.   As Richard Foster notes, writing is a spiritual discipline.  Writing has also been a way for me to remember more colorfully the events that have influenced who I am.  With so many benefits, this is just the beginning.

May 2010 bring the opportunity to learn, grow and take risks.  May it also afford us the chance to reflect on and enjoy how those experiences changed our lives.   Happy 2010!

Jeremy – who is still wearing his 2010 glasses

1 comment:

milo said...

i have found the blog to be a great resource as to what has gone on in our lives in the past year as well.... keep it up, and I will definitely be reading!